Sony Computer Entertainment has officially announced the closure of the online PlayStation Store fronts for PlayStation 3, Portable (PSP), and Vita devices. In this release, Sony gave a break down in the form of an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) of what services would and would not be available and what users could expect going forward after the closure of the stores.
While not as drastic of a hard cutoff as Nintendo’s closure of its famous Wii Shop. The Sony PlayStation Stores effected in these online closures will still allow content previously purchased, eligible for future re-download. This is better news then what transpired with the Nintendo closure but (as of the writing of this article) how will users be able to use this function. As well as currently having no clarity about game patches or DLC (Down Loadable Content) for example.
It could be entirely possible that a user could attempt to re-download their games onto different PS3 only to not be able to patch the game with a Day Zero or Day 1 patch leaving that game potentially incomplete.
Down below is the list and links to Sony’s Important Notice giving the details. As well as linking back to fellow RetroRGB write Don Mons article about this issue from last week and Modern Vintage Gamers opinions on this news from his YouTube.
From Sony Notice:
We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 consoles on 2nd July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27th August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2nd July 2021.
What features can I use after the closure of PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices?
Features you will still be able to access:
- You will still be able to re-download and play previously purchased game titles.
- You will still be able to access previously purchased video/media content.
- You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers.
- You will still be able to re-download and play claimed game titles through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.
Features you will lose access to:
- You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.
- You will no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.
- You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close. Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
How do I access my owned games?
You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita or PSP device by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
Sony’s Important Notice | https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/
Dan Mons Article | https://www.retrorgb.com/playstation-preservation-ups-and-downs.html
Modern Vintage Gamers Take | https://youtu.be/hdKsBOwmx_E
Sony PlayStation Vita Wi-Fi (Renewed)