Jotego has announced that he is working on Sega’s OutRun, an awesome retro racing game that still holds up today. On twitter he teases us that’s it coming real soon and also shows a screenshot of some of the source code files.
- OutRun track editor : https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1546024295645827072
- User response to core: https://twitter.com/craigc321/status/1546053511737217024
- Source files screenshot: https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1546212013776535552
- GitHub : https://github.com/jotego/jtbin
- Update All Script to download Jotego’s cores automatically: : https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer
- Support Jotego on Patreon: : https://www.patreon.com/topapate
Jasen Hicks has completed his MiSTerFPGA case made for the JAMMIX IO Board. The JAMMIX is an IO board solution that can be used in an arcade cabinet using the JAMMA standard, or you can obtain a MiniITX case for it and consolize your MiSTer for the living room. The case will cost $180 and that will include worldwide shipping.
- Announcement: https://twitter.com/JasenHicks/status/1545729707618226177
- JAMMIX Website: https://www.jammix.io/
- JAMMIX Twitter account : https://twitter.com/JammixO
- JAMMIX pricing & order info : https://twitter.com/JasenHicks/status/1546966924063801345
- Case product page : https://jasenscustomsarchive.com/product/mister-jammix-itx-case/
James Mackenzie on Twitter has compared the Ridge Racer attract screen in MiSTer vs a real Playstation. After letting the two run together for 5765 frames, both system remained in sync. He has a video on his twitter account showing the two systems run side by side.
- Video Comparing MiSTer and PSX : https://twitter.com/jamesfmackenzie/status/1544280715516411904
- YouTube Link: https://twitter.com/jamesfmackenzie/status/1546237249892896769
Playstation Core Updates
The Playstation core keeps getting constant bugfixes, even when the developer recently injured his hand. Fixes done this week involve video rendering bugs which affected Final Fantasy 6 and Ape Escape.
- Video Rendering Bug : https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1546520779998756868
- Video Rendering Bug 2 : https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1547257784101732354
GUN4IR Support is official
The GUN4IR is now officially supported in MiSTer thanks to JB. Just update your MiSTer and you will have support for it. The GUN4IR is a light gun with very high accuracy and will work on any television on all cores that support lightgun gaming.
- MiSTerFPGA forum post : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55825#p55825
- GUN4IR website : https://www.gun4ir.com/
Niel Morrison 44 on github, has published his own version of the project that uses a color LCD display. It runs exactly the same as tty2oled, except you supply a folder full of PNG’s.
The MiSTer_tty2oled project allows you to add a display to your MiSTer FPGA and show information or images regarding the currently running core and Niel Morrison has created a color version of it.
- Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MiSTerFPGA/comments/vvvpsj/ive_just_published_a_colour_lcd_tty2oled/
- Project GitHub: https://github.com/neil-morrison44/MiSTer_tty2pico
- MiSTer TTY2OLED GitHub : https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled
- Different TTY2OLED setups : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=1887
- MiSTer setup I have : https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/complete-mister-plus/
Retro Frog Case
Todd Gill of RetroFrog has been working on two MiSTerFPGA cases. One is a compact case he released to Patreon subscribers.
The other has a unique design with a compartment for an MT32pi and another compartment for a SATA hard drive.
- Retro Frog Twitter: https://twitter.com/ToddsNerdCave
- Twitter post: https://twitter.com/ToddsNerdCave/status/1545420408534491137
- Twitter post: https://twitter.com/ToddsNerdCave/status/1545071655164198913
- Retro Frog Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/retrofrog
- Compact MiSTer case : https://twitter.com/ToddsNerdCave/status/1547274892269260802
Cave Core Updates
Hot Dog Storm is coming to MiSTer via the Cave core. To get it working, nullobject, the developer, had to free up resources by moving the core frame buffers to the DE10 Nano’s DDR memory. Currently sound is not working in the core yet.
- Hot Dog Storm : https://twitter.com/nullobject/status/1547359123771375616
- Developer Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/nullobject
Furrtek has given some updates on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Core. It still needs a lot of work because Furrtek is still trying to figure out how some of the hardware works. Furrtek also shows the usefulness of software emulators like MAME. It’s helping with the progression of the core.
- Twitter Post 1: https://twitter.com/furrtek/status/1547344868741103623
- Twitter Post 2: https://twitter.com/furrtek/status/1547432989382119424
- Twitter Post 3: https://twitter.com/furrtek/status/1547433730603638784
- Twitter Post 4: https://twitter.com/furrtek/status/1548055668644450313
Variable Refresh Rate
Variable Refresh Rate support is now official. zakk enabled the ability for MiSTer to send freesync/VRR enable frames if your display supports it.
If you have a television that supports VRR then MiSTer will be able to automatically set your TV to the weird refresh rates that arcades, consoles, and computers support. This is much easier than configuring INI files to get those refresh rates working.
- VRR announcement: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55825&sid=8189a77306040a8f1c69185ddca42347#p55825
Super Game Boy core
paulbl-nl has officially released the Super Game Boy core and you can obtain it the next time you update your MiSTer.
The core features:
a cheat engine
and the ability to save and load backup Game Boy RAM
- Forum post : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=56187#p56187
- Project GitHub: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SGB_MiSTer
- Super Game Boy image: Evan-Amos, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Tomy Tutor core
There is also a new core for the Tomy Tutor. This is a home computer that was first released in Japan in 1982 as the Pyuta targeting children. Tomy stated that it’s documentation would let an eight year old child use the computer wirhour adult supervision
- MiSTerFPGA forum post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=56210#p56210
- Project GitHub: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TomyTutor_MiSTer
- Tomy Tutor Image: Evan-Amos, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
And other miscellaneous MiSTer fixes and updates are:
For the main MiSTer software:
Support for HDMI pixel repetition was added and some video tweaks were done by Martin Donlon.
Tweaks to the cheat menu were done by arit.
If a battery is available, there is now alternating info between battery and resolution.
For the SNES core, MSU1 data buffer was adjusted for a bigger video buffer. This fixes 512px video modes with HQ2x enable.
For the NES core:
There were PPU fixes by Kitrinx.
Kitrinx also added SNAC support for 3D glasses
paulb-nl made Famicom Disk System and MMC5 mapper fixes
and the framework was updated
For the Amiga core, support for analog joysticks was added and the framework was also updated.
For the SNK TripleZ80 core:
A ghost sprite glitch was permanently fixed in Alpha Mission. This was caused because of the development process for Ikari Warriors.
- Main updates: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55825#p55825
- SNES: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55826#p55826
- NES: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55827#p55827
- Amiga : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=55833#p55833
- SNK TripleZ80 : https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=56156#p56156